Cars

 As are most Disney movies, the movie Cars is made for both children and adults. It was a great movie for its time with advanced animations and a good moral lesson given it is a children's movie. It's much different than films we have watched in class but I think it's interesting to analyze it through a similar lense and see how the acting/animation helps to tell the story. 


The movie follows an arrogant racer named Lightning McQueen and his journey as a rookie racer to win the Piston Cup. On his way to the race, he gets lost and finds the town of Radiator Springs. I think the stereotype of this town is very country and run down and rural. As a kid watching this movie, I wasn't aware of this and how it's putting bias in our heads about the way that people from rural towns act and kind of portrays them as weirdos. Lightning gets stuck there having to fix the road in order to get out of there and he doesn't understand why no one is treating him like the big deal he believes he is. I think this is an interesting lesson in itself about humility and how you need certain things in life to keep you grounded. He begins enjoying his time in this town and being friends with the wacky Mater. Before this experience, he was famous and had a large following, however, he didn't have any friends and I think this was one of his biggest flaws that was made aware in the film. 

I thought the cinematography and camera angles didn't necessarily do much for me. It wasn't something I truly picked up on and I don't think I pick up on it in a lot of animated movies. I think the one scene I noticed it was in the field with Lightning and Mater when they are tipping the tractors. The camera angles change a lot from wide shots to close ups to help develop the friendship and emotional connection between the two. The wide shots help to emphasize the playfulness and show us the fun they are having together. Then when the Big Red is chasing them, it becomes more of a closeup and we see the fearful yet playful dynamic between the two. I think it was a really sweet moment of friendship.

I think this movie will forever be applicable despite the insensitivity of the sterotypes. I think the bond between the characters and the lessons about humility and teamwork are important and come across well. I also think that Lightning was incredibly judgemental about the people of Radiator Springs and throughout spending more time with them, he realized what truly amazing people they are. They all became Lightning's best allies which is a beautiful message about changing your impressions. 




Comments

Popular Posts